Undergraduate Community Based Internships
UCBI is a paid internship program that places undergraduates in nonprofit and public sector organizations. Students interested in public service get the chance to explore, contribute, and grow as they work in, with, and for local communities.
Why get involved
- Take your learning off campus and (re)connect with communities
- Dive into a topic or issue you’re passionate about and explore career opportunities
- Learn more about power, privilege, identity, and systems of oppression through community engagement
- Receive mentorship and coaching from experienced student mentors and nonprofit/public sector leaders
- Engage in professional development opportunities and build your personal and professional network with your cohort and host organization
- Earn a $4,500 stipend ($2,250/quarter) for your work
What to expect
- Work with host organizations for 10 hours per week
- Spend an additional two hours each week with UCBI staff and fellow interns through weekly cohort meetings (optional academic credit available)
- This cohort-based model allows students to learn in depth about social issues and reflect on power, privilege, identity, and systems of oppression
What is the application process?
The priority application deadline for the 2024 program year is Monday, October 16, 2023, at 11:59PM PT. Applications received by to the 10/16 deadline will be considered first in the selection process.
Applications are submitted electronically and reviewed by the UCBI team and community partners. Interviews will be held in November, and selected interns will be notified shortly after.
How to apply:
1. Review the complete UCBI program description.
2. Read this year’s internship descriptions and choose up to three positions that you’d like to apply for.
3. Attend the Information and Application Advice session via Zoom from 4-5PM on Thursday, October 5!* (We'll also record the session and post that here!)
4. Complete the online application. You do NOT need to sign up for an Airtable account to use this form. Click "Email me a copy of my responses" at the end of the form to receive a confirmation that your application was received.
**Applicants are strongly encouraged to attend or view an info session before applying!
Helpful tips for preparing your application
- The application includes three (3) free response questions. We suggest that you to prepare and save your responses in a separate document before completing the Google form. You can preview the questions here.
- Update your resume. The Career & Internship Center offers many helpful resources.
- Read the internship descriptions carefully! Projects, qualifications, scheduling details and modality (remote v. in-person) vary widely.
- Research the organizations that you’re most interested in. Visit their websites to learn more about their mission, vision, values, scope of work, community and staff.
- Attend the info session on Thursday, October 5. You can also view the recording of last year's session (and we'll post an updated recording after this year's info session).
- Follow us on Instagram @ucbi_uw for updates
- Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions or concerns.
When does the program run?
Internships run during winter and spring quarters (January 3, 2024 through June 7, 2024). Cohort meetings are every Wednesday, 5:30-7:20PM. Interns are not expected to work during finals weeks and breaks.
Who are our host organizations?
Host organizations are located throughout Seattle and King County. Our community partners work with a variety of populations and address a wide range of topics and issues. Interns receive coaching and support from a site supervisor. Internships for 2023-2024 are listed here.