News & Events
View at a glance what's happening across all our program areas!
No posts found
Spring Celebration 2023
Spring Celebration is a forum for CELE and Mary Gates Endowment students to showcase student service, leadership, and activist work conducted in partnership with the community.
Date: May 24, 2023
Time: 4:30 PM - 7:00 PM
Location: HUB Ballroom and meeting rooms
More information HERE
Jumpstart is Hiring!
Applications are live for all positions! Apply by November 10th! Positions are open until filled, but start date is immediately and service in the classrooms begin January 3rd.
Check out position descriptions, benefits, and how to apply for each position HERE.
- Team Leaders (8 positions)
- Lead a team of 3-4 UW peers in the preschool classroom. Build your leadership, management, coaching, and observation skills!
- Corps Members (45+ positions)
- Serve on a team of 3-4 UW peers in the preschool classrom. Build your resume, earn an AmeriCorps Education Award of $1374 while preparing preschoolers for Kindergarten!
- Community Engagement Coordinator (1 position)
- Create and collaborate on various family and community engagement events to support the Jumpstart mission!
Riverways Guides Coordinator Graduate Staff Assistant
Community Engagement and Leadership Education (CELE) Center
Riverways Guides Coordinator Graduate Staff Assistant
Riverways Education Partnerships in the Community Engagement and Leadership Education (CELE) Center is currently accepting applications for a Riverways Guides Coordinator Graduate Staff Assistant (GSA) position for the appointment period of 9/16/23 - 6/15/24.
Title/Pay Classification: Staff Assistant 50% FTE
Appointment period: 9/16/23-6/15/24
Application open: May 1, 2023
Application deadline: May 15, 2023
Interviews: May 22-26, 2023
Notifications to Applicants: May 29, 2023
Candidate Response Required: June 9, 2023
Salary: Salary and benefits (including tuition) are commensurate with academic standing per the labor contract and salary schedule that govern academic student employees.
Riverways Education Partnerships connects UW students to a variety of programs that partner with rural and tribal K-12 schools across Washington state as a means of transforming the learning and inspiring the growth of both UW and K-12 students, while addressing inequities in public education. Working with Riverways provides a unique opportunity to learn about public education and gain knowledge of partnerships between the University of Washington and rural and tribal K-12 schools from around Washington state. To learn more, please visit cele.uw.edu.
This position will focus on Riverway’s Rural and tribal outreach programs, including the Neah Bay: Telling our Stories, Imagining our Futures program, the Literacy Arts Alternative Spring Break program and the Riverways Guides Program.
The primary responsibilities of the Riverways Guides Coordinator GSA include:
Riverways Guides Coordinator Responsibilities (70%):
Under the supervision of the Assistant Director of Rural and Tribal Partnerships, facilitate and lead a cohort of UW undergraduates to work with Indigenous and rural k-12 students in a year long program.
- Lead trips and virtual visits to WA high schools throughout the academic year and during Spring Break. Support the team in identifying high schools with high American Indian/Alaska Native populations, and in designing and implementing mentorship and college preparation activities at various high schools, community colleges, and tribal communities.
- Coordinate recruitment and selection of interns for the undergraduate Riverways Guides team
- Facilitate a weekly meeting for the undergraduate team during Autumn, Winter, and Spring quarters. Topics to include: developing best practices in working with Indigenous and rural communities and students, college and career readiness, mentorship in a classroom setting
- Support undergraduate Riverways Guides in outreach and programming for Native K-12 programs throughout the state.
- Coordinate activities with the Center of American and Indigenous Studies and Multicultural Outreach & Recruitment team around these activities.
Literacy Arts and STEM ASB programming (30%)
Assist the Assistant Director of Rural and Tribal Partnerships i￼n the planning and implementation of Literacy Arts and STEM ASB in 5 - 8 communities:
● Develop and maintain relationships with community partners,
● Recruit and train Team Leaders and participants for the program.
● Assist in leading a Winter Quarter seminar for all participants
● Coordinate activities for ASB week.
● Assist in creation of Literacy Arts ASB magazine
Click here for full description and application instructions.
Now Hiring: Tutoring Program Coordinator for America Reads
The Tutoring Program Coordinator(s) will collaborate with CELE staff to support the America Reads program through the CELE Center at UW. Work-study eligible UW students can become paid year-long reading tutors in elementary and middle schools in Seattle. The Tutoring Program Coordinator(s) will have the opportunity to collaborate with CELE staff and students, the UW Work Study office, and Seattle Public Schools to expand the program. This position is supervised by the Program Manager of School Based Internships. We are hiring up to 2 coordinators for the 2023-2024 academic year.
View full job description here (UW netID log in required)
Hours: 10-15 hrs/week, up to 19
Compensation: $21.00/hr *This role is hourly federal work-study and is not eligible for a tuition waiver, as it is not classified under the ASE contract.
Dates of Service: September 27, 2023 – June 7, 2024 (opportunity to start earlier if you have a summer work-study award)
Application Deadline: June 18, 2023
To apply, please submit the following:
- A current resume including the names and contact information for two references.
- A cover letter outlining why you are applying for this position and articulating your interests in supporting tutoring programs, promoting educational equity with underrepresented communities, and developing community-campus partnerships.
Please submit all materials via the online application form: https://airtable.com/shrfeAN76Tve53WHl
Please email Emma Pelletier, Program Manager of School Based Internships, at firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.