Jumpstart: Early Education
Jumpstart is a national early education organization working toward the day every child in America enters kindergarten prepared to succeed. Jumpstart recruits and trains University of Washington students who provide language, social-emotional, and literacy programming in preschool classrooms that serve children and families from historically under-resourced communities and promote quality early learning for all children. Watch our info session to learn more about our program this upcoming year https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b0Dn6uSJPw
Why get involved
- Inspire young children to learn and serve in a local community
- Collaborate with others on a team and build professional skills
- Eligible students will earn a Federal Work-Study award during term of service
- AmeriCorps members will be eligible to receive a SegalAmeriCorps Education Award upon completion of their 300 hour service term
- Extensive training in the field of early childhood education
- Unique opportunity to join a national network of individuals serving young children
There are several ways you can get involved:
Jumpstart Corps Members provide language, literacy, and social-emotional programming for preschool children from under-resourced communities and promote quality early learning for all children. All members receive high quality training to help them implement Jumpstart’s outcome-based program, promote children’s school success, and build family engagement.
Jumpstart Team Leader
Jumpstart Team Leaders lead a team of students in providing language, literacy, and social-emotional programming for preschool children from under-resourced communities. The team leader plays a variety of roles, including coach, trainer, and observer and is essential to making Jumpstart a high quality program.
Jumpstart Student Staff and Leadership Positions
Jumpstart student staff positions provide a leadership opportunity for students to enhance the UW Jumpstart program in a variety of ways:
I went into UW thinking I had wanted to become a Pharmacist but when I volunteered as a Jumpstart member, I knew teaching was my passion. After I graduated, I was hired as a teacher at the site I had volunteered at.
—Christine YoungRead more
Applications are open for 2022-23! To apply:
1) Watch our Jumpstart Video to get a sense of the program
2) Fill out an online application: https://my.jstart.org/apply/
3) Applicants who move onto next round will be emailed an invitation to a small group or individual interview via Zoom.